Every fall I look forward to one of my favorite types of cupcakes, Pumpkin Spice with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. I love making these little fondant pumpkins to put on top. It creates a wow factor that always makes these cupcakes feel extra special when I take them to work or a party. I usually make a classic pumpkin, but what is wonderful about these pumpkins is you could add faces to them with black frosting or fondant and create jack-o-lanterns for Halloween!
- Marshmallow Fondant
- Powdered Sugar
- Decorating Brush
- Make marshmallow fondant. Dye 3/4 of it orange and the other 1/4 of it green.
- Pinch off a portion of the orange fondant and roll it into a ball.
- Use the toothpick to poke a hole in the top of the ball. Widen the hole by wiggling the toothpick around a bit.
- Press the side of the toothpick into the sides of the ball to create indents to form the pumpkin shape. I have found that five lines/sections on the pumpkins looks the best, but feel free to experiment!
- Pull off a tiny piece of the green fondant and create a stem for the pumpkin. Put water on the decorating brush and dab the inside of the hole you created earlier. Carefully place the stem into the hole. The water should help it hold better. If you do not wish to have a vine, your pumpkin is complete! Move onto the next steps if you would like to create a vine.
- Pinch off more of the green fondant and roll it out into a long string. Cut it to be about 2-3 inches long.
- Wrap the fondant around the toothpick into a coil. Let the fondant dry and stiffen up a bit.
- Carefully pull the fondant off the toothpick while keeping the coil shape. Lightly brush some water onto one of the ends of the vine, and stick it onto the pumpkin right next to the stem.
- Now you have a fondant pumpkin!